One of the four Pretoria Forts, it was designed by engineers Otto Albert Adolph von Dewitz and Heinrich C. Werner, together with the Dutch architect Christian Kunz. It was completed in 1897 and formed part of the Government’s plan to provide safety for the capital city. As with the other forts, it was supplied with all services (water, electricity, etc.) and a ‘Long Tom’ (Creusot gun).
en.wikipedia.org (accessed 28 January 2014).
able.wiki.up.ac.za (accessed 28 January 2014).